It is now March and in just a short time it will be time to renew the Chapter’s membership in the Midtown Executive Club (MEC) located at 40 West 45th Street for April 2010/ May 2011. Your invitation to join or renew will go out in a couple of weeks. This is a unique opportunity to join a private New York Club and enjoy all its benefits. The New York Chapter has been a member of the MEC since 2002. Our members have taken advantage of a variety of activities. One of the most popular is the Chapter Happy Hours networking event. Locally the club is popular for delicious breakfasts, lunches and dinners. MEC is great to enjoy a drink after work with a colleague. There is use of reciprocal clubs worldwide including low cost hotel rooms at the Club Quarters network of private, full service hotels at 12 additional prime locations in New York City, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, London, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco and Houston.
Centered between Grand Central and Times Square, and near Rockefeller Center, it is available to easy transportation.
One of the best ways to see the New York MEC is to come to the popular chapter Happy Hour monthly networking event arranged by Leigh Hallingby, our chapter President, in the Club Living Room. This is an opportunity with prearrangements to visit the hotel rooms. Leigh best describes the Happy Hour as a place where prospective SLA members, students, colleagues, and friends are also welcome. There is no charge to attend, and the main agenda is to network in a pleasant quiet space. You will have an opportunity to introduce yourself to the group and make any brief announcement (such as a new position, job search or job availability). Please come and tell us who you are and, if you are looking for something, whatever it is.
Our members have found MEC an ideal place to join clients, out of town family members, candidates, and colleagues for regular lunches, occasional breakfast or a drink after work. The breakfast is an elegant way to begin the day. Members who live out of state come to New York City for theatre weekends and take pleasure in staying at the MEC. One of our members lives in California and whenever she comes to New York on business and pleasure, she stays at the MEC.
What better way to tell you about the Club than a testimonial from one of our chapter members. Carol Ginsburg is a Managing Director at BST America and is currently on the Chapter Executive Board:.
One of the great benefits of joining MEC is the access you gain to other Club Quarters Hotels throughout the USA and Europe (UK).I have stayed at both the Club Quarters in Philadelphia and in Washington DC. In both cases the hotels were in great neighborhoods and were reasonably priced. The restaurant is such a convenient place to meet friends (or business associates) for a delicious lunch. The lobby offers a relaxing haven for a break when I am in midtown between appointments. There is free wireless as well as computers available for members' use. What could be better!!Marlene Farley is Membership Manager of the MEC and our key contact and she keeps us informed about any new happenings as well as on-going events. Maureen joined Club Quarters in June 2009 as Club Membership Manager of the Midtown Executive Club and the sister Terrace Club. Maureen brings us 15 years of experience in hospitality management from her previous positions at The Water Club, Café Gray, the Four Seasons Hotel and most recently, the Lotos Club. Here are the latest news and happenings update from Maureen:
- New 400 room hotel just opened across from the WTC site (members have access to the hotel, but not the club)
- New hotel being built on 51st Street off 5th avenue to open this fall (members have access to the hotel, but not the club)
- Great weekend and holiday rates as low as $116 available on select weekends at the midtown location (subject to availability)
- Prix Fixe three course lunch menu for $25 available Monday through Friday in the pleasant Catch 45 restaurant
- Happy Hour drink specials and complimentary hors d’oeuvres in our club room Monday-Friday
- And as always….their signature warm chocolate chip cookies served at 3:00 p.m. in the club room
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner and bar service in Catch 45
- State-of-the-art meeting rooms for business meetings, social occasions and special events
- Use of complimentary, fully equipped workstations along with free Internet access throughout the Club
- Onsite fitness room and preferred corporate rate at Sports Club/LA
- Free coffee, newspapers, games and amenities in the Club Room. A good place to be between meetings
- Inquire about use of the Priestly Room for state of the art meeting or receptions
- Use of reciprocal clubs worldwide including low cost hotel rooms at the Club Quarters network of private, full service hotels at 12 additional prime locations in New York City, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, London, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco and Houston. Worldwide privileges at 150 affiliated reciprocal private clubs in our network.
- Concierge service 24/7 for guests in Club Quarter Hotels
You will be hearing from me in the near future with membership details.